Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Tell You What

In my previous post mentioned that I have to present in the CEED Semiar yesterday. Worth that I write something about it. Unfortunately I was the first speaker to break the ice on that day. The presentation went quite well I think except that I kinda lost of words sometimes during the talk. Stumble here and there a bit. I talked in frot of lecturers and industry people. I really do not feel like talking in front of year 11 students (like Laurence said). After the talk, the questiones raised by the people indicated that there are some of them who has deep knowledge in the area. Jorg Imberger was the first to ask me questions. He was the professor in Fluid Mechanics and Head of Department in CWR. He asked me 3 questions which I think that I answered reasonably well. It was just the way he asked the questions. He walked out of the room after the second speaker present. There were also several other questions and suggestions. It was all industrial related questions and none concern with academics. I can understand that and I learned a lot from that.



We had a real formal dinner at the newly-built Uni Club after the whole 12 presenters finished with their research talk. Uni Club is a grand place to have a function. I was quite fortunate to have the same table with Prof. Alan Robson the Vice Chancellor of UWA. Very friendly and approachable character. This is one thing that I like about western culture, there are less sense of formality. Alan was the number one person in charge of the whole university and he still got the same treatment as the others. Well I guess in Malaysia there will be people ushering him and the seat will be reserved for him. When Alan came all the seat were occupied and Laurence had to take extra seat for him and he was really cool about that. Kamy Cheng was in the same table with us. I really feel a pleasure to have him there what more after knowing him wonderful character. He promised to sort out John's problem regarding his storage in Shenton Park that needs $5000 and Kamy said that you can be sure about that. Malaysian culture is lavished with formalities. I do not know if it is good or not but generally speaking in prefer it here. They said the food there was marvellous but since I suffered from sore throat I did not eat much. The red wine was one of the finest ever made.



I guess that they are still a lot of things that I need to learn here. That makes me want to stay here longer. I also had a meeting with Aziz when I was in Sydney and he persisted me to return back. I have not decided yet.

**Making another presentation tomorrow. Tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment