Thursday, September 30, 2004

Why Should I?

I was in Melbourne for 4 days and I only had the chance to look around the city on the last day of my visit. While wandering around the city, I was attracted to this one old-man standing on a box to to get attention wearing colourful dress just like a man in a circus. He was playing hoola-hoop and in front of him there were two containers for donation. He collected a fair amount of money that day.


There was also one poster lying on the floor explaining why he did that. It seemed that he was the 70 year-old war veteran from South Korea and was fighting with North Korean before. He travelled around the world to collect donation to build a church to bring people back into faith. I do not know what drives him to do that, was it because of the war and he wants peace and the only way to achieve peace is through religion? Make sense!


Usually I will put a coin or two when I encounter this kind of people. But for this particular one was a bit different because he was collecting money to build a church. Why should I? It took me a while to ponder about this. I kept telling myself of whu should I donate to him if he wants to build a church?

Final thought. I shoved my hand in my pocket and put 20 cents inthe container. Why? This brought me back to thelecture by Sh Faizel that I did write in my blog entitled A Matter of Perspective. Why I should sow hatred towards the non-Muslim who wants to build a church for his people. I will do the same if I am in his shoes. After all, if his intention is sincere, why shouldn't I help him no matter from waht background he comes from? I tried to look from different perspective. Well, it took me a while to think but I think I did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment